1. Bill, thanks for picking up the books for me.
2. She said the demonstration begins at 8 o’clock, didn’t she?
3. Linda took night classes for ten years and eventually got her degre
4. Automobile pollution is a far greater problem than industrial waste.
5. I’m used to getting up early.
6. Mary said she wanted to live by herself.
7. Red lettering on signs is much more noticeable than blue.
8. He stood up for what he thought was right.
他坚持他认为是正确的事。(stand up for：坚持，维持。)
9. I’d like to skip the meeting, but I can’t just not go.
10. I couldn’t get David to tell me where he is going on vacation.
11. The radio is too loud only for Ben.
12. Let’s leave the car at home and walk into town for a change.
我们把汽车放在家里走着进城吧。(for a change：换个花样，换个口味。)
13. Cavin raced through the station, afraid he’d miss the train.
14. If we hadn’t made a wrong turn, we’d been on time.
15. Better than half the class was absent.
16. People from the television station have requested that viewers send in their suggestions.
17. Although John will never believe it, I did try to return his telephone call.
18. Lunch wasn’t at all appealing today.
19. Robert tends to keep his opinions to himself.
20. Let’s all try to keep quiet.